10/23/08

Are You Alive or Living?

I'd like to get back to this, although I feel as though this is a good thought exercise for you to participate in yourself. So whatever I write will be my thoughts and it's up to you to think about it on during your next boring office meeting or commute.

The dictionary on my computer (Mac) define each of these words with the other, implying that there is no difference. Dictionary.com does the same thing. But I believe these words have deeper meaning.

To me, being alive is simple. It's the act of breathing, having a beating heart. But to be living requires more. It's about what you do. To differentiate between the two I can only think of the unfortunate ones on life support. They are alive, but they are not living life. They aren't able to enjoy what life has to offer.

I believe there are tons of people in the world who are only alive. They wake up each day, drag themselves to a job they hate so that they can pay the bills. Treat themselves to drive through for dinner, and return home to sit in front of the television for the night. Rinse and repeat tomorrow. Doesn't sound like much of a life does it? I wouldn't classify it as one. This person is not living.

What about sickness? So many people are sick. Obviously you can be alive and be sick, that's a no brainer. But how often does sickness interfere with living?

Or what about subluxation? I believe a healthy interference-free nervous system is crucial to living. How many of your senses are altered, even minutely, that restrict the way you experience the world? How does your attitude affect your life? And since upper cervical subluxations are related to depression, there's a potential spinal connection too.

I could probably go on with this for a while, and I don't have the answers so don't be offended by anything I said. I just thought the differences between being alive and living were an interesting thought exercise. Hopefully I've provoked some thought in you.


No comments: