10/1/08

Wellness

After I wrote yesterday's article I started thinking about why I was so upset about this financial mess. Because I'm young I have my whole future ahead of me. Considering all the work I've put in over the last 6 years, I should have a blindingly bright successful future. I'm finishing up my last year of school, I just got married in April. I'm hoping to move back to Pittsburgh, buy a home and set down roots...and start tackling those student loans that I've been accruing. All that is so close to being within reach, and then greedy people who weren't happy with the millions they were already making screwed up the economy, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to buy a practice to make the rest of my dreams come true. But ultimately, that effects my wellness.

That might be a new concept to people. We think of health as being pain-free, of being symptom free. But health is really about how well you are. And being well is about not only the body, but the mind and spirit as well. Therefore it includes all aspects of your life.

Being financially healthy affects our mind. If we're stressing about how we're going to get this month's bills paid, it will eventually degrade our health (let's not go into not being able to afford true health care). There are lots of things that affect our minds.

Being spiritually well. What does that mean? I think it refers to your faith, your conscious, your ability to look in the mirror each night. How do you feel when you know you've done something wrong? Do you feel healthy? Sometimes guilt drives people to insanity. Is that well?

When you understand how complex the human body is, I can't see why we continue to view health in terms of symptoms. We are severely limiting our capabilities by not trying to achieve wellness in all aspects of our lives. I don't know of another profession who addresses wellness as completely as chiropractic does. We thoroughly study the physiology of the body, as well as all the organ systems individually and hands down have the best grasp of the human body as being the sum of all its parts and are best equipped to enable the body to heal itself.


P.S. Billy Mays is selling affordable health insurance now... Does anyone else find that extremely outrageous?


No comments: